Monument to Princess Olga Kyiv

  • Address: Kyiv Mykhailivska Square
  •  The closest metro station: Maydan Nezalezhnosti

Overview

Monument to Princess Olga was designed as the first statue of the so-called «historical path» - a number of sculptures of historical figures who had to reach out to Sofia Maidan to St. Michael's Square. Construction of these figures had to deal with a special committee at the Military Historical Society, headed by the Governor-General Trepov.

January 10, 1911 the idea of ​​«historical path» approved Nicholas II, highlighting personally monument Olga 10,000 rubles. Place for the monument chosen exactly which previously were going to erect a monument to Taras Shevchenko. «Cavalier must give way to the lady» - then joked Mayor Hippolyte Diakov.

In 1919, a statue of Princess Olga was dropped from the pedestal and split in two, was buried under the monument itself, and in March 1923 were dismantled statue of the apostle and educators.

In 1996, after the excavations on the area found broken pieces of the Princess Olga, except for the head. The monument was restored by the photo - this time a figure carved in white marble and installed them on a pedestal of pink granite.
Monumental ensemble Princess Olga was inaugurated on May 25, 1996 in Kyiv Day.

Tours Tourist Club

Excursions Tourist Club

Sign up for Best Trips News

To subscribe, please, enter your e-mail